Thursday, September 9, 2010

Two very different, but very groovy plants.

The Ghost Chili


This plant has gained a bit of notoriety recently due to some exposure on shows like Man Vs. Food, and other adventurous food oriented shows. The notoriety is well deserved, as this is supposedly the hottest chili known to humanity. While there may be some others that rival this one for heat, like the Dorsett Naga & the Trinidad Scorpion, the Ghost Chili is still impressive at approximately 1,000,000 Scoville Units. For a little perspective on this number, this is 3 times as hot as the hottest Habanero you may have ever consumed.

Also known as Bhut Jolokia, the Ghost Chili has grown very well for the Plant Dude this year. I ordered a seed pack from J.L. Hudson, one of my favorite places to get interesting plant seeds, and got nearly 100% germination rates. The plant itself is beautiful, with dark purple veining and wide lush leaves. I had heard that it matures slowly, which I have found to be the case, so I am growing mine in a large container. I'll bring it in to the greenhouse if temps fall too low before the fruits mature. Stay tuned to the Plant Dude blog, as I intend to add video of myself being tortured by the Ghost Chili to the other videos out there by people foolish enough to consume this monster pepper!

Common Sorrel

Common Sorrel, or Rumex acetosa as it is known in binomial nomenclature, is a very easy herb to grow in the Appalachian mountains. This perennial grows easily from seed, germinating best in cooler times of the year. The picture above shows plants that I started from seed early this year, and now I am already having to thin them out.

The flavor of this leafy plant is surprising. It has been described as somewhere between lemon and spinach, but I don't really get that flavor from it. The tartness, which I assume is the "lemon" flavor others talk about, seems more to me like straight ascorbic acid. This makes sense given the high levels of Vitamin C in this plant. I do get some spinach flavor from the plant, but sorrel behaves a bit differently in the kitchen from spinach. While spinach can be wilted, sauteed or otherwise heated and retain a green color, sorell will brown quickly in the presence of heat. Therefore it is best to add it fresh, or barely cooked in order to retain a bright color & flavor.

My favorite ways to use the sorrel are to cut the veins from the leaves, roll them into cigar shaped wad, and cut them in a fine chiffonade just like basil. These fine strips are perfect for adding a tangy flavor to salads and cold dishes. I have also made a clarified butter that has sorrel blended in to it. This is a great addition to salmon, and other fish rich in fats and oils.

No comments:

Post a Comment